Are You Getting Enough Sleep Every Night?
Sleep is crucial to our physical and mental health and is not given the focus it probably should be by most people. Sleep is essential for your body to be rejuvenated and refreshed. The proper amount of sleep elevates your mood, helps you to concentrate throughout the day, it boosts your immune system, fights chronic inflammation and can even improve your outward appearance.
What other amazing thing does getting enough sleep do? It maintains a healthy body weight! Some sleep experts say that being consistently sleep deprived can cause you to eat as much as 300 extra calories a day for no other reason. Hormones are behind this.
When you sleep for less than 4 hours each night and for several nights in a row it causes a hormone disruption. This disruption has been shown to have a dramatic effect on metabolism, cravings and appetite. It was shown that a hormone that stimulates hunger (ghrelin) was present in sleep deprived men and women had a hormone that suppresses hunger (GLP-1). It seems that our bodies are designed to crave food differently when we’re exhausted.
Here are some recommendations to get those much needed hours of rest every night:
- Turn off all electronics including wifi, since these can stop your body from producing melatonin (the sleep hormone).
- Read a relaxing book or listen to calming music an hour or two before bed.
- Make sure your bedroom is totally dark and quiet.
- Exercise earlier in the day ensures a good night’s sleep and relaxes the body.
- Make your bed an amazing place you can’t wait to crawl into every night or crawl out of.
- Don’t drink too much water close to bedtime so your sleep won’t be interrupted in the night..
- Don’t stay up too late or your adrenals will kick in and turn you into a night owl
7 to 9 hours of sleep each night is essential for optimal health and wellbeing. Some experts say that going to bed by 10pm increases the depth of your sleep and the benefits.
Enjoy a great nights sleep!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged bed, book, calories, computer, darkness, diet, dreams, energy, exercise, health, healthy, hormones, love, mattress, men, metabolism, nutrition, peaceful, pillows, positive, read, sleep, strength, tv, water, weight loss, women.