I’ve heard some great things about the Paleo Diet and wanted to learn more about it and pass it on but keep it super simple.
As far as the food goes, there are 10 basic principles of eating on the Paleo Diet:
1) It’s a diet that is high in saturated fat, in fact, you can eat unlimited amounts. Coconut oil or butter are great examples that can be used to cook with at a high heat. But not the other suggested oils like olive, macadamia and avocado. These are great for dressings.
2) Calorie counting is discouraged and so is portion control.
3) Eat healthy amounts of vegetables, either raw or cooked but try to serve them with fat.
4) Fruit and nuts are only eaten in low to moderate amounts. Aim for low sugar fruits and berries with high amounts of antioxidants.
5) Eat large amounts of animal protein….grass fed red meat (if possible), wild caught fish and shellfish (if possible), pork, eggs, chicken and liver/organs. Go ahead and eat the fatty cuts.
6) Learn all about cooking with bones as a stock and broth.
7) Don’t eat any grains or legumes. No wheat, oats, barley, rye, corn, rice, soy, pinto beans, kidney beans, navy beans, black eyed peas or peanuts.
8) Eat how it feels natural. Don’t worry about any certain number of meals, just eat when you feel like eating. Skipping a meal here and there is okay.
9) Remove all sugar from your diet, as well as soda or packaged and processed foods or fruit juices.
10) Eat very little dairy, just butter and heavy whipping cream (unsweetened).
When you shop for groceries, a great way to look at it is you only buy products from the produce department and meat and fish departments as your main source of food. Avoid the inner aisles at the grocery store completely except for your oils and butter.
Exercise is great and encouraged, but Paleo recommends not overdoing it, so don’t over-exercise. It suggests shorter training sessions that are intense and only a few times a week.
Last of all, Paleo encourages a happy life that is stress free! Play outside, get some sun, laugh and have fun in your life, smile when you can and take time to relax. If you feel tired, then rest!