Blending up a whey protein smoothie is quick, easy, convenient and packed with the high quality protein you need, but have you ever thought of adding a scoop of a super food to the mix?
Here’s a list of 9 ideas to add to your protein smoothie and why these super foods are super charged:
1) Moringa Leaf. The proteins in Moringa give you 18 of the 20 known amino acids, including all 8 amino acids classified as essential. With it’s 90+ verifiable nutrients, it also has significant amounts of Vitamins B, B1, B2, B3, D, and E, polyphenols (antioxidants), other minerals, fiber. It is one of the highest, naturally occurring sources of chlorophyll. Moringa leaf boosts your energy in a natural manner and it is a remarkable source of nutrition. People who have a continuous intake of Moringa say that their ulcers have healed, tumors lessened, improved arthritis, pain and inflammation, blood pressure, skin problems, and a stronger immune system. It is widely known for its soothing ability which promotes good sleep.
2) Maca. This interesting root has a long reputation for being an aphrodisiac and to enhance fertility. It also boosts energy levels. It is usually consumed in a powder form, so is easy to add to your smoothie.
3) Blueberries. These are antioxidant powerhouses! In fact, they have the highest antioxidant properties of all fruits. Blueberries have a potent anti-inflammatory capacity that helps in everything in the body when it comes to inflammation. They help everything from blood pressure to improving your memory! Plus they are delicious and easy to store frozen and add to a smoothie.
4) Chia Seeds. Everyone has had a chia pet, but did you know they are an amazing superfood? They originate from the ancient Aztecs who were well aware of their potent superfood quality. Chia seeds are packed with protein, fiber, calcium, manganese, phosphorous and omega-3 fatty acids. What is cool about adding them to a smoothie is they instantly create a creamy thickness to the texture!
5) Hemp seeds. Almost like the Moringa leaf, hemp seeds come close to completing the amino acid profile, which makes them a wonderful protein source. They are loaded with folic acid, vitamins B & E and super rich in the omega-3 fatty acids as well. All you need is a spoonful of this great superfood to jump charge your protein smoothie!
6) Bee pollen. It sounds a little strange, but this is a popular add to your diet and the many fans of bee pollen call it one of nature’s “best kept secrets”. Believe it or not, it is a great source of protein that is easily digested. It also contains the powerful antioxidants beta-carotene, lycopene and selenium. In the world of alternative medicine, bee pollen is well known for improving asthma and allergies.
7) Cacao. Yummy! If you’re a chocolate lover, then this is good to know. There are actually “healthy chocolates” out there to eat regularly. The higher the cacao percentage the better. Cacao contains up to 10% of its weight in flavonoids. These are supercharged antioxidants that significantly lower your risk of stroke and heart disease. If you want to make a chocolate flavored super healthy protein smoothie, then add a decadent scoop of raw cacao powder!
8) Spirulina. Yes, it’s algae and it’s rich in protein as well as vitamins and minerals and powerful antioxidants. It is known for its vast health benefits that fight disease. One of the things it is known for is that it has great anti-histamine properties that reduce allergies and also boosts the growth of probiotics that strengthens the immune system and overall digestion.
9) Kale. This is one of those food items that has so many health benefits, they can never be overstated. It is supercharged with many vitamins and minerals, but especially has unique chemical compounds that boost our ability to repair DNA in our cells and block cancer cell growth.
Creating an amazing whey protein smoothie has endless possibilities. The next time you blend yours, throw in one of these super foods to super charge your day!