7 great suggestions on what to eat each day to promote healthy muscle building or toning (not wasting) and provide you with a generous amount of energy you need. Lean towards consuming the smaller number of servings if you weigh less than 150 pounds and lean towards the larger number of servings each day if you weigh over 200 pounds.
1) 4 to 8 servings of high quality protein. A serving example would be 3 ounces of meat, 3 eggs or 1-2 scoops of whey protein powder.
2) 1 to 2 servings of nuts, seeds, nut butter or avocado. A serving example would be a handful of nuts or seeds, 1-2 tablespoons of a nut butter or ½ an avocado.
3) 3 to 5 servings of low starch vegetables. A serving example would be 1 cup or about the size of the palm of your hand.
4) 2 to 4 servings of healthy fats and oils. A serving size would be like a teaspoon of olive oil or a pat of butter while cooking.
5) 2 to 4 servings of low glycemic fruit, such as berries. A serving size would be about the size of the palm of your hand.
6) 2 to 4 servings of a dairy product. A serving size would be considered a cup of milk, a half a cup to a cup of cottage cheese or yogurt, or 1 ounce of cheese.
7) 2 to 4 servings of a starchy carbohydrate. A serving would be 1-2 slices of bread, a half a cup to a cup of rice, beans/legumes or potato.
A great way to picture what you should eat each day in a way that fuels the body to stay strong, is to flip over the typical food pyramid and eat bigger from the bottom and work your way up to the top. ( :